Thursday, April 12, 2012

5 SIMPLE TIPS TO HELP WITH THOSE NEVER ENDING CHORES


I know we all hate household chores but unfortunately they won’t go away on their own so it's usually up to us to get them done. (Well, if your house is like mine.) Wouldn’t it be nice if we could just snap our fingers and they would be done. I’ve snapped and snapped and it just won't work, so I guess I’ll keep doing them the old fashioned way. Sigh!! Mind you, these are all very simple tips and just things I’ve learned along the way that I wanted to share.

1. The first one is….hold your breath….when you’re loading the dishwasher, put each type silverware in it’s own slot, place, hole whatever you want to call it in the rack. If you put all spoons together, it makes it much easier to unload. You just grab the whole lot and put them in the drawer. Of course, the same goes for forks, etc. You get the idea. Now if only I could get hubby to do that when he does load the dishwasher it would make my life just a bit easier rather than spending time sorting the whole silverware rack. I’ve figured out a man is just like a teenager, you can’t tell them anything and them do it. Oh, well, I have no solution for that one.

2. When you’re cooking (which I seldom do) if you will put things back where you got them, (cabinet, refrigerator), as you go,  it makes it much easier to clean up. The reason I know this one is because my son, (the chef), doesn’t do this so that leaves me to do this chore and also the mess he makes when he cooks. Don’t get me wrong, I’m more than happy (love it) for him to cook even though he makes such a mess and doesn’t even make the slightest attempt to clean up so that leaves me to do it. I don’t expect him to put the dirty dishes “ that he makes along the way”, in the dishwasher but leaving the milk out is a whole nother story. I think you get the point here, don’t let a chef cook in your kitchen. ;0) You might think a bomb went off in the flour canister.

3. Another tip about the never ending loading and unloading of the dishwasher. When you unload the “thing,” if you unload the bottom rack first, then when you unload the top rack the water that sits on top of cups, etc., won’t get the dishes on the bottom rack wet. So no hand drying. Yea!! I hate that. I think because when I was growing up I had to always dry the dishes.  Why did it take me so many years to figure this simple thing out?

4. When I figure #4 out I will let you know. I guess I could make up one. Let’s see, don’t let the dog scavenge the kitchen floor for food. Those licks will have to be mopped up. ;0) I hate mopping! Actually, I hate cleaning but I do like tips to make it a little easier or quicker. So any tips would be greatly appreciated.

5. I can’t remember this one because I have amnesia. When I remember it I will definitely post it. Oh, I just remembered one that I used the other day and it has to do with dusting, which I really despise and so does my brother. Must run in the family. I was doing a “little” spring cleaning and I was trying to figure out how to dust the tops of those high round windows. I looked around at what I had and I had a swiffer sweeper and the pads to go with it and I thought, "this just might work". You know, those mop looking things that have the 4 holes on top that you stick the cleaning pad into to hold it in place so you can dust the floor. Well, I never just have dust on my floor, mostly dirt, grass, etc., so they were pretty useless to me, and my thoughtful husband bought a whole bunch at Sam’s Club where you have to buy a case of everything. They have just been sitting here in the way, waiting for me to find a use for them. Well, I did and it worked great on those round top windows because the part that holds the pad actually swivels. I ended up using it on all my window tops and then in the corners of the room to get all those cobwebs. So then I had an “ah ha” moment, those pads would also make good dusting “rags” and they sure did. I just sprayed with Pledge and went about that disgusting chore and they worked great. If you want a homemade recipe for furniture polish here is a link.    http://mindfulmomma.typepad.com/mindful_momma/2012/01/homemade-furniture-polish.html
She has lots of homemade cleaning recipes, it’s worth your time to check it out.

My guess is that I will keep buying those Swiffer things from now on. Those things
that had just been in my way have now found a “forever” home.

Just so you know, I am in no way affiliated with Swiffer or Pledge.

No comments: